Spyware in AWC?

Anything that doesn't fit in the other forums.

Spyware in AWC?

Postby SMTest » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:23 pm

Hi

Great product, but it concerns me, that after the install of the product - 2 components of well known spyware is installed :evil: :

- Chatwatch keystroke logger
RegistryKey - HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ccrpTimers6.ccrpCountdown ProgID - ccrpTimers6.ccrpCountdown GUID - {42F15932-830C-11D2-BBDE-0055003B26DE} File Name - C:\WINNT\system32\ccrpTmr6.dll RegistryKey - HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{42F15932-830C-11D2-BBDE-0055003B26DE} RegistryKey - HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ccrpTimers6.ccrpStopWatch ProgID - ccrpTimers6.ccrpStopWatch GUID - {42F15922-830C-11D2-BBDE-0055003B26DE} RegistryKey - HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{42F15922-830C-11D2-BBDE-0055003B26DE} RegistryKey - HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ccrpTimers6.ccrpTimer ProgID - ccrpTimers6.ccrpTimer GUID - {42F15928-830C-11D2-BBDE-0055003B26DE} RegistryKey - HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{42F15928-830C-11D2-BBDE-0055003B26DE

- Spy graphica pro 3 - keystroke logger
File Name - C:\WINNT\system32\Ccrptmr6.dll

Is there a reason for including that in your code? The use of a timer i guess?
SMTest
Friend of the family

crap, is this true?

Postby SMTest » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:04 pm

All the more reason to use open source rather than closed source "shareware". Can't trust anybody with closed source.

I'd like to hear Steve's response to this claim
SMTest
Friend of the family

Postby SMTest » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:10 pm

OK, first off, and at the risk of sounding intemperate, I can't even begin to tell you how how much I resent any implication that I would include spyware in my software. There is NO spyware in AWC.

Ccrptmr6 is a high performance timer object for Visual Basic and is part of the suite of tools provided by the Common Controls Replacement Project. You can find more info about this project at [url]ccrp.mvps.org[/url]. I suspect that these highly respected and hard working programmers would be equally resentful that any of their efforts would be characterised as spyware.

If some scrote out there has used this freely available utility in their scumware it is invidious to suggest that anyone else who uses it might have a similar lack of ethics. Chatwatch also uses Richtx32.ocx, a control provided by Microsoft to support rich text formatting, it would be foolish to suggest therefore that the thousands of applications which use this control should be treated as suspicious.

As to the guest user who states that you cannot trust software that is not open source, I'll simply say that I do not agree. I have spent, and continue to spend, a great deal of time and effort to develop and maintain the AWC. It is available as freeware, not shareware, because I have benefitted from other authors' efforts over the years and am pleased to be able to contribute in my turn. If you are worried that the software will eat your hard disk, communicate with the Martian invaders or give you acne then don't use it.

Forgive me if this all sounds rather indignant. I appreciate that you are simply, and sensibly, trying to ensure that your PC stays in good order. I hope that this has put your mind at rest.

Steve Murphy
SMTest
Friend of the family

Postby SMTest » Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:51 am

Thanks for the response Steve.

I think the user was just trying to clarify. Although I think you have to admit I have a point about open source being more trustworthy, at least if you're a programmer you can go in and review it yourself if you have any suspicions. Instead of insulting the author by accusing them of adding spyware :-D

I'm not expecting you to release it in open source, I write web-based apps myself, and give the services away for free, but I'm hesitant to release the underlying code as open source, because eventually I hope to make some money with the sites, by charging for registration.
SMTest
Friend of the family

To spy or not to spy

Postby SMTest » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:58 pm

Thank you, Steven! Just as I was thinking...
SMTest
Friend of the family

Return to General Comments