Displaying EXIF Caption

Post any requests for changes to the way AWC works here.

Moderator: SteveM_Admin

Displaying EXIF Caption

Postby teskeyn » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:46 pm

AWC has a neat feature to display the file name of the current picture in the corner of the screen. With many picture tools now using the EXIF Caption field, it would be great if you could display the Caption as an alternative to the file name.

Since you have EXIF code for orientation and display code for file name it shouldn't be a big change :wink:
teskeyn

Re: Displaying EXIF Caption

Postby SteveM_Admin » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:16 am

That's timely. I've spent most of today investigating the different types of metadata stored in images, EXIF, XMP etc. and thinking about what I can do with it. Filtering is one obvious choice but I'll be looking at ways of displaying user selected tags on top of the image.

Once I have something working I'll post a message here and you can give it a try.
Regards

Steve Murphy
SteveM_Admin
Site Admin

Postby SteveM_Admin » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:37 pm

OK, retrieving the caption and displaying it seems to be working well now. The only issue remaining is determining what exactly to display. Some image file formats support comments anyway and don't need to have any EXIF tags to support it and EXIF itself supports two tags that fit into the comment category: UserDescription and Comment. The EXIF specification recommends using UserDescription in general, though it doesn't support Unicode. To make life even more interesting the comment stored in a file by one of the many image management programs out there might not be the one you'd expect. ACDSee for example has a comment field on its EXIF tab but actually stores it as a file comment and not as either of the EXIF tags.

You've clearly spent a lot of time adding metadata to your images, presumably using one of these tools. Could you do me a favour and tell me what software you've used and send me three or four images that you've marked up so I can test them? You can send them to forensics@totality.smurphy.co.uk and I promise to keep them private and will destroy them once I'm happy with the testing.

Testing should be done in a day and I can then let you have a working version to try for yourself.

On a similar topic I've also added a facility to take the EXIF geotag data that's added by some cameras (notably the iPhone) and open Google Earth at the location that's stored in the file. I don't know if that's of any use to you but it has me grinning like an idiot every time it zooms into the correct location on Google's globe.
Regards

Steve Murphy
SteveM_Admin
Site Admin

Postby SteveM_Admin » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:38 pm

Beta test version of AWC supports displaying the image caption http://smurphy.co.uk/board/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5349&p=6895#p6855. Ther have been a number of updates since the first posting so download the full installation first then scroll to the end to get the latest update.
Regards

Steve Murphy
SteveM_Admin
Site Admin

Return to Change Requests