Ability to move file to favorite folders

Post any requests for changes to the way AWC works here.

Moderator: SteveM_Admin

Ability to move file to favorite folders

Postby moverickslayer » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:53 am

lol, I was already in the change requests forum. Anyway, back to my suggestion about the ability to open a file's location while the file being highlighted is a good idea in terms if you are about to edit the file with a specific program.

I've been using more and more AWC to manage pictures on my computer than browsing them one by one manually. This lead me to think, that having the ability to move the file/image being displayed to the location the user wants would be handy specially when managing big amount of pictures like I do.If AWC could have a panel to register a list of folders that could be set as favorite, and then, have a hotkey to move the wallpaper displayed, showing a panel to select the folder to move to.

when downloading several pictures from a site, it's sort of painful to be browsing specific folder before each saves. Downloading them all to one location, and then moving them to the folder they belong for further edit/tagging, is to me less time consuming. But the switching between each application negates that.

If you find this idea worth a shot, please let me know. Thanks in advance to consider.

----------------------------------------

another idea popped in my mind. wonder if a panel could be design to exclude folders? In my case, I select the whole drive for pictures. but there are folders that contains images and not wallpapers. personal pictures, funny pictures, which aren't meant to be displayed on the desktop. If this change would be useful to anyone else, hope this could be considered too. thanks
moverickslayer
Made Guy

Re: Ability to move file to favorite folders

Postby SteveM_Admin » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:37 pm

I've always viewed AWC as a means of displaying pictures rather than managing the files and have avoided adding too much file management functionality quite deliberately. I have the same issue you describe myself and my, admittedly crude, workaround is to open the file for editing in Irfanview (my editor of choice) and use its file handling functions to move things around. While I recognise that it might sometimes be more convenient to have the functionality available in AWC, adding it in would open up a whole new can of worms: once one element of file management is available lots of others become obvious extensions too. I don't really want to go down that road, particularly because there are already so many excellent programs that do it so well.

However your notion of having a list of excluded folders is a good one and jibes well with the extensions to filtering that I'm keen to add in. Look out for it in the near future.
Regards

Steve Murphy
SteveM_Admin
Site Admin

Postby SteveM_Admin » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:48 pm

I'm just about to release a Beta test version of AWC that includes a bunch of new features: one of them is your open file's folder request. You can find it on the preferences screen on the General Options Page. I've added another check-box under the external editor bit that you can use to tell AWC to ignore the editor setting completely and just open the file's location in Windows Explorer.

I'll post a proper announcement about the Beta version tomorrow but FYI it's got: ability to display file comments instead of the file name on screen; open geo-tagged images at the location they were taken in Google Earth and the ability to edit file comments. It doesn't include the ability to exclude certain folders yet, but that's next on my list.

You can download it from http://awc.smurphy.co.uk/AWCBeta.exe if you want to give it a go.
Regards

Steve Murphy
SteveM_Admin
Site Admin

Postby moverickslayer » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:27 am

Hello Steve.

Thanks a lot. I just had a quick run through the latest beta. So far, it did fix the minimize problem that was occurring as mentioned in other threads (that is, the application would remain in the taskbar no matter if you press close or minimize and despite the option "minimize to tray icon" was on)

the ability to select the image editor is great. I tested the option to open the location and it works fine, but i was wondering if there was a way to have also the file highlighted when awc opens the location, like, it points at the file that was being displayed?

and for the file management, it's good, because now if I have the ability to open with specific application, i can just set favorites and move them as soon as they open to the right folders.

:) looking forward the option to exclude folders soon. Thanks again for the changes.
moverickslayer
Made Guy

Postby SteveM_Admin » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:04 pm

The file should already be highlighted when the folder opens. Works on both XP and Win7 on my set ups. If it's not highlighting it for you you can test the raw system call by typing the following into the Windows Run box:

Code: Select all
explorer /select,Full path to file.jpg

That's essentially the command that is sent to Windows' Shell. If it doesn't highlight the file then that would appear to be a peculiarity of your system. If it does and the AWC call does not, let me know and I'll have a think about it.
Regards

Steve Murphy
SteveM_Admin
Site Admin

Postby moverickslayer » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Hi again. just got back, tested through the run command. it highlights, but when I use awc, it doesn't, either i got the wrong beta, or ... am gonna check again and be back. oh, and I totally forgot about the tiling issue. thanks for mentioning, i'll test it right away :D
moverickslayer
Made Guy

Postby moverickslayer » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:14 pm

wooops, it works and it doesn't, when i manually click on the system tray and choose open file for editing. it opens the location and highlights the file.

But, when i set the tray icon to open the file for edit when i double click on the icon, and proceed with it, it doesn't highlight the file but opens the location.
moverickslayer
Made Guy

Postby moverickslayer » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:34 pm

I tested again

so the update above is partly correct. I used hotkey to change the wallpaper. then double clicked on the tray icon, it did open the location, but the file wasn't highlighted. I close the window, and double click again on the tray icon, now the location opens with the file highlighted.

now, i try to right click on the tray icon and choose open file for edit after changing wallpaper again. The location opens but file isn't highlighted. I right click again and choose same option, location opens with the file highlighted.
moverickslayer
Made Guy

Return to Change Requests