Camera Raw?

Post any requests for changes to the way AWC works here.

Moderator: SteveM_Admin

Camera Raw?

Postby gordol » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:00 pm

Would it be possible to upgrade AWC to support camera RAW and/or Photoshop formats?

I am switching my photography workflow away from jpg files (Nikon NEF straight from the camera and/or Photoshop Elements PSD for edited items) and would like to use them for wallpapers without having to create a copy in another format.

People using camera RAW formats would almost certainly have an appropriate plugin for their photo editing software already installed, so adding support for Photoshop style pluggins should suffice for those.
gordol
Friend of the family

Re: Camera Raw?

Postby SteveM_Admin » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:46 pm

I'll have a look at the issue. Could you send me a couple of example files to experiment on? They can be sent to forensics@totality.smurphy.co.uk.
Regards

Steve Murphy
SteveM_Admin
Site Admin

Postby gordol » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:23 pm

SteveM_Admin wrote:I'll have a look at the issue. Could you send me a couple of example files to experiment on? They can be sent to forensics@totality.smurphy.co.uk.

I'm sending you one now. It's about 9 megabytes.
gordol
Friend of the family

Postby SteveM_Admin » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:26 am

Got it. Give me a couple of weeks to figure out if I can do anything with it.
Regards

Steve Murphy
SteveM_Admin
Site Admin

Postby gordol » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:15 am

SteveM_Admin wrote:Got it. Give me a couple of weeks to figure out if I can do anything with it.

Thank you.
gordol
Friend of the family

Postby SteveM_Admin » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:49 pm

OK, sorry it took a lot longer than a couple of weeks but I think I've finally cracked it. I've just released a Beta test version of AWC with a lot of changes in it, one of which is my first support for Camera RAW. At the moment only Nikon Digital Camera Raw Image Format (NEF), like the ones you sent me, can be loaded but I'll expand that to other camera manufacturers once we're happy it works properly.

Click this link, http://www.smurphy.co.uk/board/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5349, to read the Beta announcement and download the full installation first, then scroll tot he bottom and download the latest update.

I appreciate you may have found an alternative to AWC by now given the lack of response to your requirement, but if you do give it a try I'd appreciate any feedback you can provide.
Regards

Steve Murphy
SteveM_Admin
Site Admin

Postby gordol » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:04 pm

SteveM_Admin wrote:I appreciate you may have found an alternative to AWC by now given the lack of response to your requirement, but if you do give it a try I'd appreciate any feedback you can provide.

Downloading now. I have not even looked for an alternative, I like your program.
gordol
Friend of the family

Postby SteveM_Admin » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:34 pm

There's another update availble. One of the things it addresses is your request to add PSD support. http://smurphy.co.uk/board/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5349&p=6895#p6895. You need to use the new File Extensions page of preferences to tell AWC to use the new formats.
Regards

Steve Murphy
SteveM_Admin
Site Admin

Postby gordol » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:40 pm

SteveM_Admin wrote:OK, sorry it took a lot longer than a couple of weeks but I think I've finally cracked it. I've just released a Beta test version of AWC with a lot of changes in it, one of which is my first support for Camera RAW. At the moment only Nikon Digital Camera Raw Image Format (NEF), like the ones you sent me, can be loaded but I'll expand that to other camera manufacturers once we're happy it works properly.

The Camera RAW option works with the NEF files my Nikon produces. No surprise, since you started it from one of mine... :)

It does take a bit longer to change, but that is to be expected due to the file sizes if for no other reason, and when letting it change automatically the user would most likely never notice the delay. I know that the only reason I did was because I manually told AWC to change the wallpaper.
gordol
Friend of the family

Return to Change Requests