Hotkey Support

Post any requests for changes to the way AWC works here.

Moderator: SteveM_Admin

Hotkey Support

Postby Freshie » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:13 am

At the request of one of your avid fans, I decided to give AWC a shot, and I really like it (aside from a few bugs I've mentioned).
Kudos. It's a great program.
I have purchased it, so I guess there's no need for you to implement this, but it would be greatly appreciated...

I have two monitors on my computer, one of which displays on my wallscreen TV when we're not watching it.
I have an ATI remote that I can program hotkeys to.
I have found that your implementation of hotkeys is rather lacking.
Below is a list of available hotkeys in the "other" program I was using.
Would it be too much work to implement these?
Almost everyone has a keyboard with programmable function keys, and all the keys can be accessed by my remote (which is helpful when it's displaying on my wall).

I do like the effects your program can produce, but the lack of programmable hotkeys is a bit of a deal-breaker for me.
If you could implement hooks for these you'll have sold me on it (again).
Attachments
WMP Keys.jpg
Freshie
Friend of the family

Re: Hotkey Support

Postby SteveM_Admin » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:46 pm

I've been planning on making all AWC's main functions available to the user via selectable hotkeys for a while. It seems to be a popular idea so I'll be getting on with it in the next couple of months.
Regards

Steve Murphy
SteveM_Admin
Site Admin

Postby TheVoyager » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:09 am

Any update on this as I keep getting an error because another program is using 2 of the hotkeys that you assign

Bob
TheVoyager

Postby SteveM_Admin » Thu May 06, 2010 4:28 pm

I've added this to the latest Beta version of AWC available for down load if you're feeling adventurous: http://awc.smurphy.co.uk/AWCBeta.exe. Let me say up-front that I've not ironed out all the bugs in the selection process yet, particularly keys on the number pad, but the basics are in place and working.

The preferences screen has changed radically. You'll find your option on the Hotkeys page. I'll post a full description of the changes in the Beta version in a separate thread in a few days.
Regards

Steve Murphy
SteveM_Admin
Site Admin

Postby moverickslayer » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:41 pm

I would like to request for the delete wallpaper hotkey while this topic is still alive. Great job for the latest update with the hotkeys tab and user defined hotkeys.

Am using multi monitor (currently using one, but soon two again), would it also possible to not neglect the ability to set different shortcuts to delete from Monitor 1 and also Monitor 2.

I use AWC to sort the countless amount of low quality pictures in the folders (it's more pleasant to see how it looks on the screen and decide to delete or keep) than going through 100 folders and scrolling through each. This hotkey would be a big help.

Thanks in advance and for all the hard work on tuning the software up to now. :D
moverickslayer
Made Guy

Postby SteveM_Admin » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:06 pm

I've always been loathe to put the delete option in a hot key, simply because it's potentially so dangerous. However I guess people have to be trusted to use good judgement so OK: I'll add it in the next update.
Regards

Steve Murphy
SteveM_Admin
Site Admin

Postby moverickslayer » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:22 pm

mmm am not too sure what you mean by "dangerous", using the delete always send the file in the recycle bin anyway right? the shortcut would not be different right??? ( am assuming, i hope, it has to ... )

well, it would be very, very very handy for me to have this shortcut, it spares from going down with the cursor each time, right click, and delete file, and sometimes when i notice the wallpaper and decide to delete it, it happens to be at the time it is going to change for the next wall, so i have to right click, choose previous, then right click, again delete.

now there's shortcut to go back to previous (which is awesome), only the delete shortcut is missing (i think? I have to check if anything else is handy but i guess for the time being, this is prior)

also was wondering if there was any hope in seeing a shortcut that sort of opens the directory and highlight the file that was being displayed. I don't know how tough the programming behind this is, but when I have to edit a picture, the application I will use to edit differs depending on the type of modifications i have to do. so when i click "open file", it opens in ACDsee, where i have to double click and wait for the program to load the folder where the file is, and then select that file and open it with the application i want. I haven't checked yet if there is an option to open with a specific editor, but the "open directory" of the wall being displayed might be a nice thing to see on AWC.

Thanks again for considering the delete hotkey!!!
moverickslayer
Made Guy

Postby SteveM_Admin » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:30 pm

I've added the delete function and it's available to download from the site now.

I've just added the del function to the first two monitors in use, partly due to laziness but mostly due to the likelihood of confusion and deleting the wrong file. People always blame the programmer rather than their own cack-handedness when that happens. You're right that the file is deleted to the recycle bin if it's a local file but if the file is located on a network share the delete operation is permanent. This is a limitation of Windows.

I'll have to think about the file opening thing. I'll add it to the wish list.
Regards

Steve Murphy
SteveM_Admin
Site Admin

Postby moverickslayer » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:57 pm

THANKS THANKS THANKS A LOT!!! :D

can't tell how much i feel awesome being able to delete with just one key (using macros haha), well, thanks again and also thanks for considering the opening the location idea.

I wasn't able to test the delete hotkey for multiple monitors (i had to lend one monitor to a friend, so till i get another >__<) i'll probably be able to tell about it by end of December, plus two is fine, i don't plan having more monitors before some years ... maybe .... And no worries about the who to blame when deleting by accident. that's funny that people do blame programmers, i never blamed anyone else than me when i crashed hard drives of ### gb or messed up and deleted important files while partitioning. :cry:
moverickslayer
Made Guy

Postby moverickslayer » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:46 am

ah for the opening file stuff. forget about it please. I have something more efficient to suggest. I'll post in the change requests thread.
moverickslayer
Made Guy

Return to Change Requests