Shortcuts

Post any requests for changes to the way AWC works here.

Moderator: SteveM_Admin

Shortcuts

Postby Freshie » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:48 am

Any chance that AWC will read a folder of shortcuts (.lnk)?
I'm not really keen on the file listing it uses.
Each time a photo is removed, it starts it's display at the top of the list.
It would save a lot of space on my drives... Rather than using ACDSee to copy tagged files into a folder and then using AWC to read that folder, it could read that folder of shortcuts.
Even better would be if it could read XMP tags, but I won't ask for that :)
Freshie
Friend of the family

Re: Shortcuts

Postby SteveM_Admin » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:25 pm

Hello Freshie,

I'm not sure that a folder of links is the best way to handle it: why not just use file view and drag and drop your pics from Windows Explorer into the list? I take you point about the file list restarting after a deletion though. I noticed that myself a couple of weeks ago and my development version has fixed the issue. You can download it from http://awc.smurphy.co.uk/AWC.exe and copy it to your installation folder if you'd like to give it a try. The fixes in that version are

Ampersands in file names now display correctly
Window focus issues when using tray icon fixed
Main window is no longer hidden when minimised in Windows 7 so it complies with interface standard
Task bar icon handling now Windows 7 compliant
In File View AWC no longer displays a file not found image when asked to display files that have been deleted from the disk but are still in the file list
In file view corrected logic when deleting a file in multimonitor mode so that the next file in the list in displayed rather than the first one
Regards

Steve Murphy
SteveM_Admin
Site Admin

Postby Freshie » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:35 pm

I'll give the dev-rel a shot.
My big issue was after an hour of one pic per minute, you'd see them all again if you deleted one.
If this fixes the issue, then my shortcut/link issue is moot.
I use ACDSee to keyword my photos, so I've been running a search for a specific keyword, and then copying them all to a new folder that AWC would then populate.
Freshie
Friend of the family

Postby Freshie » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:58 am

On the same note, I've noticed that when a filed is deleted in Folder View, it reverts to the last alphabetical image in the list.
Would it be possible for it to just move to the next random image rather than Zach-99, or Zoo640608, or Yolanda25 or whatever it may be?
It carries on random after the last one is displayed, but sometimes Zack's grad, although wonderful, get's tiresome ;-)
Freshie
Friend of the family

Postby SteveM_Admin » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:41 pm

Working on the file view deleting issue at the moment. Like a lot of the niggles in AWC it's a result of the development history of the program: new features constantly being added to what was originally a very simple program. Laziness is a factor too of course :oops:.

I've been working, off and on, on making the filtering of files a bit more sophisticated. There are a number of standards used to encode metadata into images such as IPTC and EXIF. It's not too difficult to extract the info from the various tags but there is big downside: performance. Each file has to be opened and decoded so the data can be read. As a result it can take a lot of time to filter even only a few hundred files, especially across a network.

Version 5 of AWC (probably a year away) will use a database to manage large numbers of files in similar fashion to the way that Windows Media Center does. That should help address the performance issues along with a lot of other enhancements I have in mind. In the mean time I'll be adding some simple metadata filtering and allow people to decide for themselves whether the performance hit is acceptable.

I'll post a note here when I have a working test version if you're interested.
Regards

Steve Murphy
SteveM_Admin
Site Admin

Postby SteveM_Admin » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:56 pm

Latest test version available: see here for details http://www.smurphy.co.uk/board/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5123#p6154.

It's got the deleting thing fixed too which I forgot to mention in the referenced post.
Regards

Steve Murphy
SteveM_Admin
Site Admin

Return to Change Requests