req: a portable version would be very nice

Post any requests for changes to the way AWC works here.

Moderator: SteveM_Admin

req: a portable version would be very nice

Postby mario » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:08 pm

hi steve,

a very fundamental issue for me :-)

please make it portable! do not save anything in the registry. use an ini-file.

also, i have my pictures on a usb-device which changes the driveletter often on all the computers i plug it in.

if i could setup awc to load pictures i.e. with %driveletter_of_awc.exe%\pictures\foo\ i could see my beloved pictures with a lot of less work :-) (changing alway the folderlist by hand...etc...)
mario
Made Guy

Postby SteveM_Admin » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:00 am

An enhancement I'm working in is to allow a user to save the current configuration (directories, preferences, possibly file list) as a selectable item. this won't be ini format but wil probably be XML. I'll try to include an option to allow you to specify %AWCDIR% (or similar) and that may give you what you require.

Regards

Steve
SteveM_Admin
Site Admin

Postby mario » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:46 am

SteveM_Admin wrote:An enhancement I'm working in is to allow a user to save the current configuration (directories, preferences, possibly file list) as a selectable item. this won't be ini format but wil probably be XML. I'll try to include an option to allow you to specify %AWCDIR% (or similar) and that may give you what you require.

ah! ;-) this sound great. XML or INI doesnt matter, as long as its a "portable" format which can easily used on host-computers, which does not allow installing software or starting awc from a portable device. cool. thanks for the info :-)
mario
Made Guy

Re: req: a portable version would be very nice

Postby mario » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:47 am

whats the status here?
we now can save settings to disk and can import them in other computers.
but how can i use AWC really portable if i need to install it?

or is the install process obsolete and i can just copy the AWC program folder to another computer and it works?
mario
Made Guy

Return to Change Requests